Night ‘n Day attacker denied parole

Assault victim Kahu Vincent with family to today: Kobe (6), Kahu, Savannah (9), Jade, and Roman (five months.) Photo: Supplied

Ahu Stanley Taylor (44), jailed for the attempted murder of Kahu Vincent in 2015 in Wānaka has been denied bale.

Taylor was jailed for 10 years eight months following the assault on Kahu Vincent which took place at a Night ’n Day convenience store.

At the hearing, the prisoner was unable to give any motive for the attack.

Vincent was in an induced coma for 12 days followed by three weeks in the hospital's critical care unit with traumatic brain injury.

He then was subjected to years of rehabilitation.

Vincent, who was a father of two young children at the time, suffered traumatic brain injuries in the prolonged attack and had to learn how to walk, talk, eat and shower again. 

Taylor's application for leave to appeal was dismissed in the Supreme Court on Tuesday last week.

In his application, Taylor said it was unfair he and Rowles [the other attacker] had received different sentences, but the decision said there had been "no miscarriage of justice".

It also said there was "ample evidence" that suggested Taylor's intent to kill and that intent "might [have been] more difficult to establish in the case of the co-offender".

Taylor also stated that in the trial Judge Nicholas Davidson failed to highlight the effect alcohol and drugs had taken on him during the attack. The document found that jurors were informed that drunken intention was "still an intention".

Read edition 977 of the Wānaka Sun here.

​​​​​​​


0 Comments

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now